Check out this post from GameChanger. GameChanger makes an app for tablets and phones that provides scorekeeping for baseball, softball, and basketball games. In addition to the app, they have a blog/page dedicated to youth amateur sports called the Season.
Several of their recommendations are worth highlighting:
- Recognizing age-specific development and needs of children this age group
- Emphasizing fun and fair play (sportsmanship…or ATTITUDE)
- Making sure all kids get to play every position is a key tenet of my Hustle & Attitude philosophy
- Celebrating individual progress is how coaches recognize that each child has the opportunity to get better during the season – and making that development happen is one of the most important responsibilities of a youth recreational sports coach
- Planning out practices – this is something I am trying to emphasize and provide tools and techniques for coaches through my clinics; good effective practices don’t happen by accident